Rodgers admit Liverpool’s bench strength not good enough to win in Europe
London: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted he doesn’t have the players to win in Europe, after deciding to take seven teenagers in their squad for their opening round match of the Europa League against the Young Boys of Bern.
Rodgers has rested eight first-team players, keeping in mind their all-important clash this weekend against Manchester United at Anfield.
Only Real Madrid loan star Nuri Sahin is likely to feature both here and at the weekend.
"There is no shying away from it, I’d love to do well in the competition, but I need to manage it alongside other priorities," the Daily Mirror quoted Rodgers, as saying.
"I’d love to be able to enter a team in every competition with a real chance of winning. But the reality is we need to see where we go and I need to manage game-by-game," he added.
"The Premier League is the number one priority and, without dismissing this tournament, it is a good opportunity to see how good the young players are - how they mix with more experienced ones and the depth of the squad," he said.
Rodgers added: "We looked leggy against Arsenal after the last European game, and I don’t want a repeat. We are where we are, but by the time we are on the plane home I hope there will be one or two positives. I believe in young players, but you never know until you give them a chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...