Rodgers admit Liverpool’s bench strength not good enough to win in Europe
London: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted he doesn’t have the players to win in Europe, after deciding to take seven teenagers in their squad for their opening round match of the Europa League against the Young Boys of Bern.
Rodgers has rested eight first-team players, keeping in mind their all-important clash this weekend against Manchester United at Anfield.
Only Real Madrid loan star Nuri Sahin is likely to feature both here and at the weekend.
"There is no shying away from it, I’d love to do well in the competition, but I need to manage it alongside other priorities," the Daily Mirror quoted Rodgers, as saying.
"I’d love to be able to enter a team in every competition with a real chance of winning. But the reality is we need to see where we go and I need to manage game-by-game," he added.
"The Premier League is the number one priority and, without dismissing this tournament, it is a good opportunity to see how good the young players are - how they mix with more experienced ones and the depth of the squad," he said.
Rodgers added: "We looked leggy against Arsenal after the last European game, and I don’t want a repeat. We are where we are, but by the time we are on the plane home I hope there will be one or two positives. I believe in young players, but you never know until you give them a chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble