Rodgers admit Liverpool’s bench strength not good enough to win in Europe
London: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted he doesn’t have the players to win in Europe, after deciding to take seven teenagers in their squad for their opening round match of the Europa League against the Young Boys of Bern.
Rodgers has rested eight first-team players, keeping in mind their all-important clash this weekend against Manchester United at Anfield.
Only Real Madrid loan star Nuri Sahin is likely to feature both here and at the weekend.
"There is no shying away from it, I’d love to do well in the competition, but I need to manage it alongside other priorities," the Daily Mirror quoted Rodgers, as saying.
"I’d love to be able to enter a team in every competition with a real chance of winning. But the reality is we need to see where we go and I need to manage game-by-game," he added.
"The Premier League is the number one priority and, without dismissing this tournament, it is a good opportunity to see how good the young players are - how they mix with more experienced ones and the depth of the squad," he said.
Rodgers added: "We looked leggy against Arsenal after the last European game, and I don’t want a repeat. We are where we are, but by the time we are on the plane home I hope there will be one or two positives. I believe in young players, but you never know until you give them a chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued