Roma beat Fiorentina with last-gasp goal
Rome: Pablo Osvaldo headed in the winner from the last touch of the game to give Roma a 1-0 win at Fiorentina in the Italian Serie A.
The hosts, who enjoyed advantage in terms of possession and shooting chances, hitting the post twice, were left nearly speechless by Osvaldo`s goal Saturday.
"It`s a bitter defeat as we were fighting for a very important third place finish. I compliment the lads on an excellent performance and it`s so disappointing because Fiorentina did not deserve to lose," said Vincenzo Montella, head coach of the home side.
Aurelio Andreazzoli, his Roma counterpart said, "We are satisfied as we came here to play against a very strong team who play entertaining football. I enjoyed myself preparing for the game and making tactical moves and counter-moves during the match. I think the first half was balanced, then Fiorentina put us under pressure but we adjusted our system and held out well. We also had three or four dangerous counter-attacks that could`ve paid off."
"Admittedly, Fiorentina will feel hard done by after hitting the upright twice but considering the way we approached the game, I think we deserved the win," he added.
With three games of the season remaining, both remain in the hunt for third spot which is currently occupied by AC Milan, who have a one-point advantage over the Viola with a game in hand.
In the other kick-off of the day, Chievo were held to a scoreless draw by Cagliari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!