Roma beat Inter to reach Coppa Italia final
Milan: Thanks to a brace from Mattia Destro, Roma beat Inter 3-2 in an entertaining clash at San Siro to set up a Coppa Italia final with city rivals Lazio.
Roma, holding a 2-1 lead from the first leg, went behind to a superb Jonathan goal in the 22nd minute, but Destro scored twice in the second-half, one in the 55th minute, the other in the 68th, to put the tie firmly in Roma`s grip.
Vassilis Torosidis hit a wonderful third for the visitors and Ricardo Alvarez rounded out the scoring with an 80th-minute consolation for an Inter side missing several first-choice names.
Roma Coach Aurelio Andreazzoli praised his team after the inspiring win.
"At half-time we told each other that we couldn`t continue like this. We had to shake ourselves up," Andreazzoli said
"It`s difficult to explain why we started the game so badly, as it`s not the first time this has happened. Against Torino on Sunday we needed the classic slap in the face to wake us up."
The Coppa Italia Final will be a Derby della Capitale at the Stadio Olimpico on May 26.
"We`ve got to arrive at that match with the right psychological and physical condition. This is only possible if we win the next few games in Serie A," Andreazzoli said.
Inter head coach Andrea Stramaccioni insisted he "can only compliment my players" after Inter crashed out of the Coppa Italia against Roma.
"I can only compliment my players, as we put everything we had," he said.
"I think the team had an excellent first half and we could`ve doubled our lead with Tommaso Rocchi. In the second half Roma improved, while we lost physical intensity.
"The regret is we conceded a goal on a counter-attack when our defence was set out. The Giallorossi did well to take advantage," he added.
Results of the Italian Cup semi-final second leg:
Inter Milan 2 (Jonathan 21, Alvarez 80) AS Roma 3 (Destro 55, 69, Torosidis 74)
AS Roma win 5-3 on aggregate
Lazio 2 (Gonzalez 53, Floccari 90+3) Juventus 1 (Vidal 90+1)
Lazio win 3-2 on aggregate
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam