Roma set up quarter-final clash with Juve
Rome: Roma beat Sampdoria 1-0 in the last 16 of the Italian Cup on Thursday to set up a quarter-final meeting with Juventus.
Greek international full-back Vasilis Torosidis scored the only goal of the game with just six minutes played at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma bounced back from a 3-0 Serie A drubbing at the hands of Juve last weekend.
Roma will now get the chance to gain revenge on Juve after beating Samp following coach Rudi Garcia`s decision to make several changes to his starting line-up.
Belgian international midfielder Radja Nainggolan was handed his debut for the Giallorossi just days after signing for the capital club from Cagliari.
Roma, whose form has been patchy since they started the season with 10 consecutive league wins, could have won by more but for a fine performance from visiting goalkeeper Vincenzo Fiorillo.
They will now face Juve in a tie due to be played on January 21.
Later on Thursday, Udinese were due to host Inter Milan, with the remaining four ties, including holders Lazio against Parma, all to be played next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy