Roma set up quarter-final clash with Juve
Rome: Roma beat Sampdoria 1-0 in the last 16 of the Italian Cup on Thursday to set up a quarter-final meeting with Juventus.
Greek international full-back Vasilis Torosidis scored the only goal of the game with just six minutes played at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma bounced back from a 3-0 Serie A drubbing at the hands of Juve last weekend.
Roma will now get the chance to gain revenge on Juve after beating Samp following coach Rudi Garcia`s decision to make several changes to his starting line-up.
Belgian international midfielder Radja Nainggolan was handed his debut for the Giallorossi just days after signing for the capital club from Cagliari.
Roma, whose form has been patchy since they started the season with 10 consecutive league wins, could have won by more but for a fine performance from visiting goalkeeper Vincenzo Fiorillo.
They will now face Juve in a tie due to be played on January 21.
Later on Thursday, Udinese were due to host Inter Milan, with the remaining four ties, including holders Lazio against Parma, all to be played next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi