Roma set up quarter-final clash with Juve
Rome: Roma beat Sampdoria 1-0 in the last 16 of the Italian Cup on Thursday to set up a quarter-final meeting with Juventus.
Greek international full-back Vasilis Torosidis scored the only goal of the game with just six minutes played at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma bounced back from a 3-0 Serie A drubbing at the hands of Juve last weekend.
Roma will now get the chance to gain revenge on Juve after beating Samp following coach Rudi Garcia`s decision to make several changes to his starting line-up.
Belgian international midfielder Radja Nainggolan was handed his debut for the Giallorossi just days after signing for the capital club from Cagliari.
Roma, whose form has been patchy since they started the season with 10 consecutive league wins, could have won by more but for a fine performance from visiting goalkeeper Vincenzo Fiorillo.
They will now face Juve in a tie due to be played on January 21.
Later on Thursday, Udinese were due to host Inter Milan, with the remaining four ties, including holders Lazio against Parma, all to be played next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday