Roma set up quarter-final clash with Juve
Rome: Roma beat Sampdoria 1-0 in the last 16 of the Italian Cup on Thursday to set up a quarter-final meeting with Juventus.
Greek international full-back Vasilis Torosidis scored the only goal of the game with just six minutes played at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma bounced back from a 3-0 Serie A drubbing at the hands of Juve last weekend.
Roma will now get the chance to gain revenge on Juve after beating Samp following coach Rudi Garcia`s decision to make several changes to his starting line-up.
Belgian international midfielder Radja Nainggolan was handed his debut for the Giallorossi just days after signing for the capital club from Cagliari.
Roma, whose form has been patchy since they started the season with 10 consecutive league wins, could have won by more but for a fine performance from visiting goalkeeper Vincenzo Fiorillo.
They will now face Juve in a tie due to be played on January 21.
Later on Thursday, Udinese were due to host Inter Milan, with the remaining four ties, including holders Lazio against Parma, all to be played next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?