Roma sink free-falling Juventus with late goal
Rome: John Arne Riise scored a last-gasp goal to earn AS Roma a 2-1 comeback win over free-falling Juventus in Serie A on Saturday and give Claudio Ranieri a sweet return to his former club.
The Norwegian nodded in a David Pizarro cross in stoppage time after a Francesco Totti penalty had cancelled out Alessandro Del Piero`s fine opener for hosts Juve in the 51st minute.
The Turin side were down to 10 men when Roma scored the winner after goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon was sent off in the 83rd minute for charging out of his area and fouling Riise.
The win saw Roma tighten their grip on third place with 38 points from 21 games, eight behind leaders Inter Milan, who face second-placed AC Milan in Sunday`s high stakes derby.
Juve are five points further back in fifth after a sixth loss in eight league games deepened the troubles of coach Ciro Ferrara, who replaced Ranieri just before the end of last season.
"The victory was important because Juventus want to stay in the race for Champions League qualification and us winning puts them several points behind us. I`m not looking for revenge," Ranieri said.
The hosts had shown signs of recovering from recent woes, with Mohamed Sissoko`s return from duty with Mali at the African Nations Cup strengthening their midfield.
They had the better of the first half but Amauri, Nicola Legrottaglie and Del Piero failed to nod home inviting balls into the area.
However, Del Piero did put them in front with a left-footed diagonal volley, after the ball ballooned off a defender, to score his first league goal of an injury-hampered campaign.
Totti, who replaced a limping Luca Toni in the fourth minute to make his first appearance following a month-long injury layoff, levelled after Fabio Grosso blocked Rodrigo Taddei in the area before Riise landed the killer blow.
"It`s a difficult period, there`s no use hiding it," Ferrara said. "Sometimes our defeats have been deserved, others not, but at this point we are a long way behind."
"I think the squad has the strength, character and personality to come out of this all together. In moments like these you have to be strong men and they are."
A section of Turin`s Stadio Olimpico was closed during the match because of racist chanting by Juventus`s ultra fans in an Italian Cup tie last week.
Earlier, strugglers Catania thumped Parma 3-0 at home to move up a place to stand third-from-bottom.
Giuseppe Mascara headed the Sicilians in front after 15 minutes shortly before missing a penalty and Jorge Martinez and Takayuki Morimoto then sealed victory with second-half goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo