Romario asks government to sack national coach
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian legend Romario has called on the country`s president Dilma Rousseff to force the removal of national football coach Mano Menezes.
The 1994 World Cup-winning striker has led a campaign to oust Menezes since Brazil`s 1-2 loss to Mexico in the Olympic final at London`s Wembley Stadium last month, reports Xinhua.
He stepped up his criticism after a late Neymar penalty gave Brazil a 2-1 victory in their international friendly against Argentina in the Brazilian city of Goiania Wednesday night.
"Another horrible game by Brazil," Romario said on his Facebook page.
"If we continue with this team Brazil will not even get beyond the group stage of the World Cup. President, are you going to do something about it? How long are we going to keep embarrassing ourselves?"
Romario was particularly critical of Menezes` decision to wait until the 68th minute to introduce the team`s leading Olympic goal scorer Leandro Damiao.
He added Argentina`s team "was one of the worst of all time".
"The coach is weak, fearful and he doesn`t select the players that he should," the former Barcelona star said.
The president of Brazil`s football confederation (CBF) Jose Maria Marin last month declared his support for Menezes and ruled out the possibility of a new coach being appointed before the end of the year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon