Romario wins USD 9 million payout
Rio de Janeiro: Vasco da Gama has agreed to pay retired football idol Romario USD 9 million in outstanding debt, ending a bitter eight-year row between the striker and his former club.
The amount was agreed upon during a civil hearing here Tuesday relating to unpaid wages and image rights owed to the 47-year-old during his 2000-02 contract with the Rio outfit.
"The most important thing is that an agreement has been reached between both parties," Vasco president Roberto Dinamite said.
Romario had demanded the payment of USD 29 million but agreed to reduce the amount after negotiating with the club`s directors.
Vasco will pay in 120 instalments of USD 75,000 beginning in January next year, the tribunal ruled.
"This agreement is the most civilised way to resolve matters like these. Nobody has won and nobody has lost. The deal shows the grandeur of both sides," Vasco lawyer Silvio Capanema said.
Romario, now a federal deputy for Brazil`s Socialist Party, scored nearly 300 goals for Vasco during four separate spells with the club. He also netted 55 times from 70 international appearances for Brazil and played in his country`s 1994 World Cup-winning team in the US.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH