Rome, Milan could host Euro 2020 games
Rome: Rome and Milan are in the race to host the Euro 2020 as UEFA, the ruling body of football in Europe, mulls to host the showpiece tournament across the continent to celebrate the competition`s 60th anniversary.
Italian football federation (FIGC) chief Giancarlo Abete believes that Rome and Milan have a fair chance, reports Xinhua.
"Rome had a Champions League Final not so long ago," Abete noted. "And Milan could soon have one assigned. Italy is prepared to host matches in the 2020 European Championship. Rome and Milan are great cities capable of hosting such an important event."
Rome`s Stadio Olimpico has a capacity of around 72,000 while San Siro can currently play host to 80,000 supporters.
Meanwhile, Poland will also strive to be one of the organisers of the Euro 2020 football championship, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said.
Tusk added that the most likely candidate was the Polish capital Warsaw. Poland co-hosted Euro 2012 with neighbouring Ukraine between June 8 and July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UN council condemns North Korea missile launches, vows new measures
- PDP, Centre not on same page, meet between Mehbooba Mufti and PM Modi critical: Defence expert
- Diabetes drug may help prevent heart disease
- Kashmir unrest: Mehbooba Mufti meets PM Modi, hits out at Pakistan for openly fuelling tension in Valley
- Watch: Mouni Roy, Sanjeeda Sheikh's crazy 'Afghan Jalebi' act will make your day!