Rome, Milan could host Euro 2020 games
Rome: Rome and Milan are in the race to host the Euro 2020 as UEFA, the ruling body of football in Europe, mulls to host the showpiece tournament across the continent to celebrate the competition`s 60th anniversary.
Italian football federation (FIGC) chief Giancarlo Abete believes that Rome and Milan have a fair chance, reports Xinhua.
"Rome had a Champions League Final not so long ago," Abete noted. "And Milan could soon have one assigned. Italy is prepared to host matches in the 2020 European Championship. Rome and Milan are great cities capable of hosting such an important event."
Rome`s Stadio Olimpico has a capacity of around 72,000 while San Siro can currently play host to 80,000 supporters.
Meanwhile, Poland will also strive to be one of the organisers of the Euro 2020 football championship, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said.
Tusk added that the most likely candidate was the Polish capital Warsaw. Poland co-hosted Euro 2012 with neighbouring Ukraine between June 8 and July 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Chase master Kohli stars as India beat Kiwis by 7 wickets, lead series 2-1
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption