Romelu Lukaku shines as Everton beat Newcastle United 3-2
London: A stunning first-half performance by striker Romelu Lukaku guided Everton to a 3-2 home victory over Newcastle on Monday to lift his side to fourth and maintain the Premier League`s only unbeaten record.
The 20-year-old Belgian, on a season-long loan from Chelsea, scored twice, set up a goal for teenager Ross Barkley and also had two efforts disallowed for offside in the first 45 minutes.
Second-half goals by Yohan Cabaye after 51 minutes and Loic Remy a minute from time gave the visitors hope but they were largely outplayed.
"He (Lukaku) is strong, powerful and extremely knowledgeable. He is also very gifted and at times unplayable," Everton manager Roberto Martinez told Sky Sports.
Everton were ahead after five minutes when the pace of Kevin Mirallas on the right took him clear of the Newcastle cover and he crossed for Lukaku to side-foot home.
The striker made the second after 25 minutes when he burst from midfield and fed Barkley, the 19-year-old slipping the ball past two defenders and beyond goalkeeper Tim Krul from 18 metres.
It was 3-0 on 37 minutes as Everton`s dominance continued.
A huge clearance by goalkeeper Tim Howard was allowed to bounce just outside the Newcastle area. Krul`s mid-air swipe missed the ball and Lukaku beat a Fabricio Collocini challenge to score from close range.
Newcastle, overrun in the first half, looked a different side after the break and Yoan Gouffran hit a post before a superb 25-metre strike from Cabaye made it 3-1 six minutes after the restart. Remy`s late goal made for a nervous finish.
The win took Everton four places up the table on 12 points from six games, three points behind leaders Arsenal. Newcastle stay 16th with seven.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata