Ronaldinho close to Palmeiras deal
Rio de Janeiro: Brazilian giants Palmeiras have emerged favourites to sign out-of-contract former Barcelona star Ronaldinho.
The 34-year-old has been linked to Santos, Fluminense, Besiktas, Queens Park Rangers and Boca Juniors since leaving Atletico Mineiro by mutual consent in July, reports Xinhua.
But Palmeiras are understood to be closest to accepting a long list of demands set by the two-time FIFA World Player of the Year.
They include a monthly salary in excess of $90,000, 15 percent of gate receipts and 50 percent of income from sponsors signed after his arrival.
Palmeiras are long-time admirers of the former Selecao No.10.
The Sao Paulo-based club tried to sign the playmaker in 2011 and had another bid turned down earlier this year.
Ronaldinho joined Atletico Mineiro in June 2012 after a turbulent spell with Rio de Janeiro giants Flamengo.
The ensuing 12 months were regarded by many as the 2002 World Cup winner`s best period since his Barcelona peak in the mid-2000s.
But his form tapered off badly this year and he was substituted early in the second half of Atletico`s 4-3 victory over Argentina`s Lanus July 23. The victory, which earned Atletico the Recopa Sudamerica trophy, was Ronaldinho`s last match for the Belo Horizonte club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state
- SC, ST promotions: Shivraj Singh-led government to move Supreme Court
- Bombed Brussels airport departure hall to reopen today
- Bachchans, SRK, Salman attend Bipasha-Karan Singh Grover’s wedding reception