Ronaldinho double sinks his former club Gremio
Belo Horizonte (Brazil): Ronaldinho scored twice to hand Atletico Mineiro a 2-0 victory over his former club Gremio in Brazil`s Serie A championship.
The 33-year-old converted a penalty on the hour after former AC Milan and Brazil goalkeeper Dida brought down Alecsandro with a sliding tackle Sunday.
Ronaldinho then doubled the home side`s lead in injury time with a cool finish after Neto Berola`s piercing run and pass.
Ronaldinho admitted he had mixed emotions about scoring against the club where he began his career.
"It`s not the first time that has happened," the two-time FIFA world player of the year said.
"Gremio will always have a special place in my heart, but I also have to do the right thing by my team."
The victory was Atletico`s first from four matches in Brazil`s Serie A championship as the club prioritises the Copa Libertadores.
In other games of the day, defending champions Fluminense overcame Goias 2-1, Vitoria beat Atletico Paranaense 3-2 and Coritiba defeated Nautico 1-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened