Ronaldinho double sinks his former club Gremio
Belo Horizonte (Brazil): Ronaldinho scored twice to hand Atletico Mineiro a 2-0 victory over his former club Gremio in Brazil`s Serie A championship.
The 33-year-old converted a penalty on the hour after former AC Milan and Brazil goalkeeper Dida brought down Alecsandro with a sliding tackle Sunday.
Ronaldinho then doubled the home side`s lead in injury time with a cool finish after Neto Berola`s piercing run and pass.
Ronaldinho admitted he had mixed emotions about scoring against the club where he began his career.
"It`s not the first time that has happened," the two-time FIFA world player of the year said.
"Gremio will always have a special place in my heart, but I also have to do the right thing by my team."
The victory was Atletico`s first from four matches in Brazil`s Serie A championship as the club prioritises the Copa Libertadores.
In other games of the day, defending champions Fluminense overcame Goias 2-1, Vitoria beat Atletico Paranaense 3-2 and Coritiba defeated Nautico 1-0.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!