Ronaldinho, Kaka battle for World Cup spot
Rio de Janeiro: Former FIFA World Player of the Year winners Ronaldinho and Kaka are unlikely to play together at the 2014 World Cup, according to Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari.
Both have been called up by Scolari for international friendlies this year but neither has convinced the 64-year-old manager.
Ronaldinho, 33, has been named in Brazil`s squad to face Chile in Belo Horizonte Wednesday, a match that will feature South American-based players only.
"There is a 90 percent chance that they won`t play together," Scolari said on Monday.
"I have given chances to both of them and I will give one more chance to Ronaldinho on Wednesday. I didn`t have the chance to play them together in our recent friendlies because of the different situations that they are both in. It`s probable that I will take one and not the other."
The pair are the only remaining survivors from Scolari`s team that won the 2002 World Cup in Japan and South Korea.
Kaka, 31, has struggled for form since joining Real Madrid in 2009 while Ronaldinho last year resurrected his career with Atletico Mineiro by being named player of the season in Brazil`s Serie A championship.
Scolari also said he was looking to add at least one defensive midfielder to his preferred starting formation.
Among his current defensive midfield options are Ramires (Cheslea), Paulinho (Corinthians), Fernando (Gremio), Jean (Fluminense), Ralf (Corinthians) and Hernanes (Lazio).
"This idea of having goal-scoring central midfielders sounds really nice to the media. And it is nice. But not for the coach," Scolari said.
"When you have full-backs like Daniel Alves and Marcelo you need to have protection."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!