Ronaldinho scores first goal for Atletico Mineiro
Rio de Janeiro: Ronaldinho scored his first goal for Atletico Mineiro and set up another as the team defeated Nautico 5-1 in the Brazilian Serie A championship.
In his first match at Atletico`s Estadio Independencia stadium Saturday, Ronaldinho scored with a 36th minute penalty, reported sources.
Ronaldinho`s pinpoint corner kick then helped Damian Escudero score the second goal during injury-time.
It was the two-time FIFA world player of the year`s first goal since joining the club earlier this month.
He quit rival Brazilian outfit Flamengo May 31 and is suing it for USD20 million for alleged unpaid wages and bonuses.
Danilinho also scored either side of the break after Bernard gave the home side an ideal start with a low strike past goalkeeper Felipe in the second minute.
Araujo scored Nautico`s only goal in the 12th minute when he pounced on a Giovanni mistake and rolled the ball into an empty net to make it 1-1.
The result lifted Atletico to second on the standings, one point behind rivals Cruzeiro, who shocked Vasco da Gama with a 3-1 away victory. Portuguesa defeated Sao Paulo 1-0 in Saturday`s only other match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city