Ronaldinho snubs Besiktas to stay with Atletico, say club
Sao Paulo: Brazilian striker Ronaldinho has signed a new contract with Atletico Mineiro after turning down a move to Turkish side Besiktas, the club said in a statement Thursday.
"He`s re-signed!" Atletico`s president Alexandre Kalil announced on Twitter.
Besiktas said at the end of last month that they were keen to sign the 33-year-old Ronaldinho but admitted they needed extra sponsorship to meet his wage demands.
The former Barcelona and AC Milan midfielder joined Atletico in June 2012 and won the Copa Libertadores with them a year later, the first time he or they had lifted South America`s biggest club competition.
He showed glimpses of the football that made him FIFA`s World Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005 and was recalled by Brazil when Luiz Felipe Scolari took over 14 months ago.
But he failed to make an impression at international level and looks unlikely to make Brazil`s World Cup squad.
Neither Atletico nor Kalil gave any details of the new deal or said how long the contract was for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list