Ronaldo joins 2014 World Cup committee
Rio de Janeiro: Former Brazil striker Ronaldo has accepted a leading role in organising the 2014 World Cup in his home country, he said on Thursday.
The 35-year-old former World Cup winner and World Player of the Year was invited to become a member of the local organising committee for the event, Ricardo Teixeira, the head of the country`s football confederation, told reporters.
Ronaldo`s role will put a globally recognised sportsman in the front line of World Cup preparations which have been dogged by delays and allegations of corruption against Teixeira.
"It is an honour for me, to face this challenge, to pass on optimism for the Brazilian public and show that we are proud to have this World Cup in Brazil," he told reporters.
"This is the ideal moment to bring together everyone who is involved in this process."
"This is not FIFA`s World Cup, not the CBF`s World Cup, not the government`s World Cup, it belongs to the public and they have to be proud of this World Cup, they have to take part in the his World Cup.
"I want to do this for the public, the public deserves my contribution."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends