Ronaldo, Messi and Ribery to contest Ballon d`Or
Madrid: World governing body FIFA named Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery as the three nominations from a 10-player shortlist for the Ballon d`Or award on Monday.
Barcelona and Argentina forward Messi has won the prestigious award, formerly called FIFA World Player of the Year, for the past four years, while Real Madrid`s Ronaldo topped the poll in 2008.
Despite not winning any silverware last season Portuguese Ronaldo is favourite to end Messi`s reign as officially the world`s best player when the results are announced on January 13.
The 28-year-old has 25 goals for Madrid this season and bagged a stunning hat-trick as Portugal beat Sweden in a World Cup qualifying playoff to reach next year`s finals in Brazil.
Messi scored 56 times for Barcelona last season, helping the Catalans win the Spanish title while Ribery helped Bayern Munich win the Bundesliga and the Champions League.
Former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson, Bayern Munich`s Jupp Heynkes and Borussia Dortmund`s Juergen Klopp form the shortlist for the Coach of the Year award.
Paris St Germain`s Sweden striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic failed to make the final Ballon d`Or shortlist although he is in contention for the Puskas Award for the "most beautiful goal of the year" for his long-range overhead volley against England.
The nominees for the various awards were confirmed after votes were received from captains and head coaches of member associations of FIFA and international media representatives selected by FIFA and France Football magazine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre