Ronaldo opens door for Manchester United return after `very emotional` night
London: Cristiano Ronaldo has left the door open for a return to Manchester United after firing Real Madrid in to the Champions League quarter-finals on a “very emotional” night at Old Trafford.
Real Madrid knocked Sir Alex Ferguson’s side out of Europe`s elite competition on Tuesday night with a 3-2 aggregate victory thanks to Ronaldo’s second-half strike on his first game at Old Trafford since his world record £80 million transfer in 2009.
Ronaldo received a hero’s reception from the home crowd and admitted it was a night of mixed emotions against his former club - who he has refused to rule out representing again despite insisting he is happy in Spain.
Ronaldo said: “The future you never know but the supporters here [at United] and the club, it`s massive. The future you never know but at this moment I`m very happy at Real Madrid and I want to be here.
“It was an unbelievable night. It was very emotional. What the supporters did for me was massive, I’m never going to forget this moment. I don’t have words for it.
“On one hand I’m happy for Madrid to go through but on the other side I’m sad because it’s not easy to forget. This was my home for six years, the people were very nice with me. I came here as a child.
“It’s quite strange - in both games I felt a little shy in my game. It’s a feeling you cannot explain - it’s just a feeling. I support and I am with the white collar, so these feelings stay in this stadium, the Theatre of Dreams.”
“I went to the dressing room to speak to all the players, to the coach, to the president, to the Glazers.”
Real Madrid booked their place in the quarter-finals with a 2-1 victory on the night having drawn 1-1 in the first leg at the Santiago Bernabeu, where Ronaldo got los Blancos` goal.
It completed an excellent week for the Spanish giants in which they beat bitter rivals Barcelona twice in four days, first in the Copa del Rey and then La Liga.
“It was an unbelievable week,” Ronaldo added. “We won both games against Barcelona and now Manchester United. It was great. We are in good shape, we want to carry on like that because we want to try to win this competition.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi