Ronaldo questions Fifa’s stance on racism
Zurich: Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has questioned how effective Fifa and Uefa`s campaign against racism is, and insisted that he does not consider Lionel Messi a rival.
The duo are up for the Ballon d`Or award on Monday night, though Fifa has been in the news this week after president Sepp Blatter criticised AC Milan`s decision to walk off after racial abuse against Pro Patria.
Ronaldo, speaking at the pre-award press conference in Zurich, insisted that racism must be stamped out in football but believes the decision to leave the field of play is an entirely subjective one.
“In my honest opinion, I think this [racism] cannot happen at this moment in football,” he told reporters.
“All the time, Fifa and Uefa speak about fair play and against racism, so why does it still happen? It’s incredible, this cannot exist; it’s just a football match.
“It’s not good for the fans or anybody. We should live in peace, all of us.”
Ronaldo, when asked about Boateng’s decision to walk off, added: “It was a very personal decision by him. If he was angry or sad, that’s his decision.
“I can give you lots of examples happening in stadia today when you cannot simply walk off the pitch.
“You have to cope with these kind of fans and perhaps a few people have a few screws loose. I couldn’t give you a precise answer, whether you walk off the pitch depends on the person.”
Barcelona forward Messi is the bookies’ favourite to win the award for the fourth time in a row, with Ronaldo only getting his hands on the accolade once (in 2008), but the Blancos star insisted that he won`t lose any sleep if he fails to win.
“I have a clear conscience; I must say this award is not the end of life,” he said. “Life goes on and we have to learn from our lessons - if others win then that’s fine.
“With regards to what I have done in the last year, I think things went well, we won the league. Regardless of what happens today, I’m going to be the same man that I’ve been so far.”
This award is the sixth year in a row that Ronaldo and Messi have both been included in the final trio of nominees, but the former Manchester United attacker believes that there is no real rivalry between the pair.
Ronaldo added: “I don’t feel that I’m frustrated by Messi. He does his work for his team and so do I for mine.
“As far as I’m concerned, I don’t feel much rivalry, at least not personally. We’re here to win, we’re part of football and that’s what counts.”
When asked why he did not select Messi in the voting process, Ronaldo denied having actually cast his vote.
"I didn’t have a chance to vote myself this year as I got injured during training with the team that day,” he said.
The Portuguese star was even asked where Madrid`s head coach Jose Mourinho was and why he had chosen not to come to Zurich for the award ceremony, but Ronaldo replied with a smile: “It’s a secret!”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah