Ronaldo`s `love for self` blamed for Portugal`s World Cup failure
Sydney: Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has reportedly been accused of loving himself too much and his unbalanced attitude has been said to be at the root of Portugal`s 2014 World Cup failure.
The attack on Ronaldo came in a column penned by Zvonimir Boban, who bagged four Italian titles and a Champions League with AC Milan as well as captaining Croatia to third place at the 1998 World Cup.
Boban wrote in his column that Ronaldo is an amazing player and he showed that again in Brazil, even if he missed a number of chances, Stuff.co.nz reported.
But, Boban added that Ronaldo`s biggest flaw is the way he looks at himself and the team.
Boban suggested that the worrying signs for Portugal came when Ronaldo scored in the Champions League final for Real Madrid in May, removing his shirt for a photo opportunity.
The former Croatia captain wrote that Ronaldo celebrated like he was insane, adding that that was the ultimate proof that the striker loves himself. He added that the headlines should be about the team, not about Ronaldo.
Boban further wrote that the same thing happened with Portugal in Brazil as there was no order or discipline and that all the Portugal players were playing their own game and more occupied with their hair and tattoos, and branded it as `Hollywood behaviour`.
Boban wrote that it is a sad thing that a team loses its identity because of an unbalanced captain, both for Ronaldo and for an entire generation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu