Ronaldo targeting Raul`s Real Madrid record
Madrid: Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed his ambition to surpass Raul as los Blancos` all-time record goalscorer.
The 28-year-old equalled Paco Gento`s record of 182 goals with his hat-trick over Sevilla on Saturday, to become the club`s sixth most prolific player.
However, the Portugal international has a significant job on his hands in order to emulate Raul`s haul of 323 Real Madrid goals, not that he is at all fazed by the size of the task.
Speaking to AS, Ronaldo said: "I`ve always said that records are there to be beaten, I don`t mean just by me but by the next generation of players who come along.
"I feel happy to have made history and I am delighted to have registered these figures. What I would like is to continue as I have until now and one day, be the first."
Ronaldo entered Madrid`s list of top 10 greatest goalscorers this season and has steadily surpassed Amancio (155) Emilio Butragueno (171) and Pirri (172).
Speaking to Real Madrid.com, Butragueno reflected on Ronaldo`s achievements and noted his importance to the club.
"We are all immensely proud that Cristiano Ronaldo is a Real Madrid player. I hope he remains here for many more years because he is such an important player for us," said Butragueno.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event
- Al Qaeda chief urges kidnappings of Westerners for prisoner swaps - SITE
- Japan logs first half-year trade surplus since Fukushima
- Attacks on France, Germany their own fault: Donald Trump