Ronaldo targeting Raul`s Real Madrid record
Madrid: Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has revealed his ambition to surpass Raul as los Blancos` all-time record goalscorer.
The 28-year-old equalled Paco Gento`s record of 182 goals with his hat-trick over Sevilla on Saturday, to become the club`s sixth most prolific player.
However, the Portugal international has a significant job on his hands in order to emulate Raul`s haul of 323 Real Madrid goals, not that he is at all fazed by the size of the task.
Speaking to AS, Ronaldo said: "I`ve always said that records are there to be beaten, I don`t mean just by me but by the next generation of players who come along.
"I feel happy to have made history and I am delighted to have registered these figures. What I would like is to continue as I have until now and one day, be the first."
Ronaldo entered Madrid`s list of top 10 greatest goalscorers this season and has steadily surpassed Amancio (155) Emilio Butragueno (171) and Pirri (172).
Speaking to Real Madrid.com, Butragueno reflected on Ronaldo`s achievements and noted his importance to the club.
"We are all immensely proud that Cristiano Ronaldo is a Real Madrid player. I hope he remains here for many more years because he is such an important player for us," said Butragueno.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Scorpene leak: Data includes details on missile likely to be used in submarines
- West Indies vs India, 2nd T20I: Wet outfield denies MS Dhoni & Co chance to level series
- Two minors held for gang-raping minor in Delhi
- Punjab seeks probe into AAP funding by radicals
- One killed, 13 injured in mob-police clash in Bengal