Ronaldo wants to stay in Real Madrid: Perez
Madrid: Florentino Perez is convinced that Cristiano Ronaldo wants to end his career with Real Madrid.
The 28-year-old scored two goals on Wednesday night as los Blancos beat Chelsea 3-1 in the final of the Guinness International Champions Cup and celebrated by pointing his finger at the club`s crest.
However, the Portugal international has been linked with a return to Manchester United, while the club have continued to pursue Tottenham winger Gareth Bale.
But the 66-year-old is confident they can reach a new deal with their star forward, following reports a five-year contract worth €17 million has already been struck in principle to make Ronaldo the best paid player in La Liga.
“We are all convinced that he will end his playing days at Real Madrid,” Perez told ESPN.
“At the end of the summer we will try to resolve this matter. The season starts next week, but before the end of the month or the beginning of next month, I`m sure [it will be sorted out]. There is no great hurry because there is good will on his part and we will resolve it satisfactorily. At least that is my wish, and I believe it is his too,” stated Perez.
Earlier this week, the former Man United star was named on a three-man shortlist, along with Lionel Messi and Franck Ribery, for Uefa`s Best Player in Europe award.
Ronaldo is entering his fifth season with the club and has scored 146 goals in 135 games since arriving at Santiago Bernabeu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family