Rooney brands Man Utd`s last season as `disaster`, says Van Gaal will set things right
London: Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has tagged last season`s seventh-place finish in the Premier League as a `disaster`, but said that new boss Louis van Gaal will set things right at the club.
United, who won six friendlies under Van Gaal in pre-season, began their Premier League campaign with a 2-1 home defeat by Swansea City on Saturday. Rooney said that it is a really bad result for them, but added that they would learn, especially with the manager they have got.
Rooney said that maybe after a good pre-season the squad was over confident, The BBC reported.
The 2012-13 champions, who sacked David Moyes in April after just 10 months in charge, headed into this season`s campaign with high hopes. Last season the club finished its lowest in their Premier League history and failed to qualify for European competition for the first time since 1990.
Rooney, who scored against Swansea, said that they know last season was a disaster and it wasn`t good enough. He said that they were ready for the start of this season. But, he added that they just have to look at the bad points and cut them out, adding that if they do that they will win games.
United`s next Premier League game is away at Sunderland on 24 August, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged