Rooney brands Man Utd`s last season as `disaster`, says Van Gaal will set things right
London: Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney has tagged last season`s seventh-place finish in the Premier League as a `disaster`, but said that new boss Louis van Gaal will set things right at the club.
United, who won six friendlies under Van Gaal in pre-season, began their Premier League campaign with a 2-1 home defeat by Swansea City on Saturday. Rooney said that it is a really bad result for them, but added that they would learn, especially with the manager they have got.
Rooney said that maybe after a good pre-season the squad was over confident, The BBC reported.
The 2012-13 champions, who sacked David Moyes in April after just 10 months in charge, headed into this season`s campaign with high hopes. Last season the club finished its lowest in their Premier League history and failed to qualify for European competition for the first time since 1990.
Rooney, who scored against Swansea, said that they know last season was a disaster and it wasn`t good enough. He said that they were ready for the start of this season. But, he added that they just have to look at the bad points and cut them out, adding that if they do that they will win games.
United`s next Premier League game is away at Sunderland on 24 August, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why