Rooney breaks Charlton’s record for most goals in derby history with brace against City
London: Wayne Rooney scored twice against bitter rivals Manchester City during their 3-2 win at Etihad Stadium on Sunday to become Manchester United’s most prolific marksman in derby history. Rooney overtook Sir Bobby Charlton’s record and also took his Premier League tally to 150, becoming the youngest player to reach the milestone. The England forward admitted it had been the perfect revenge after seeing City pip them to the title last season. “It feels fantastic. It’s a great day for us, to go six points clear and beat our closest rivals, especially with what happened last season,” the Daily Star quoted Rooney, as saying. “We’ve waited a long time for this and it means everything to everyone at the club and all the fans,” he added. Rooney also paid tribute to Robin van Persie for his free-kick winner in the extra minutes, saying: “It was a difficult angle but Robin has that ability and we work on that in training.” “I had no doubt he could score from there and it won us the game. It’s great to score here and to win the game. They’ve had a great home record and to spoil that is a great feeling,” he added. “It was crazy. We were hanging on at the end and they had a couple of chances. A bit of magic got us the three points,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir