Rooney can’t wait to be full-time captain of England
London: Wayne Rooney has said he would be more than happy to become England`s full-time captain in future after leading the Three Lions to a 5-0 thrashing of San Marino on Friday in a World Cup qualifying match at Wembley.
The Manchester United striker celebrated leading his country on home soil for the first time by scoring twice to move to fifth in their all-time leading scorer list.
The 26-year-old will return the armband to Steven Gerrard for Tuesday`s trip to Poland but made it clear he would love to succeed his fellow Liverpudlian in the role.
"If you can get the opportunity to captain your country, it`s something which I think - as a player - you need to grab with both hands," a daily quoted Rooney, as saying.
"In the future, hopefully that`ll happen. But, at the minute, Steven`s our captain and he`ll lead by example for us," he added.
"To actually lead a team out, you look up, you see the crowd and - the atmosphere - it`s quite a feeling. To captain your country at Wembley is the greatest honour you can have," he said.
Rooney, added: "It`s something that, as a young boy, you dream of and to actually do it is a great honour for me something which I`ll take and cherish for the rest of my life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM