Rooney fearing boos from Man Utd fans during start of new season
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney reportedly fears facing boos from United fans when the Premier League season kicks off next month.
The troubled star is said to be upset and disappointed that United chiefs this week missed a golden opportunity to set the record straight after Sir Alex Ferguson`s claims last season that he asked for a transfer.
Although Rooney had hoped that United would be clear on the fact he did not hand in a transfer request as he has always insisted, the absence of new chief executive Ed Woodward during the official unveiling of David Moyes as manager has made his long-term United future look bleaker, the report added.
The report further said that the club`s reluctance to admit Ferguson`s version of events is at odds with the player`s, and has stirred up anti-Rooney feeling on Twitter and other websites, which has left him fearing a fan backlash when the season starts, with supporters taking Ferguson`s side.
And until the position is clarified it is unlikely that the club can build bridges to repair their relationship with Rooney, whose chances of remaining at Old Trafford may end if the fans turn on him after a heated summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Donald Trump denies 'flip flopping' on immigration
- Govt plans to launch PM research fellowships for IIT graduates from next academic year
- Guwahati to host 2016 Indian Super League season opener
- An Alaskan village votes to relocate because of global warming
- US Judge blocks federal action on transgender students' bathroom access