Rooney fearing boos from Man Utd fans during start of new season
London: Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney reportedly fears facing boos from United fans when the Premier League season kicks off next month.
The troubled star is said to be upset and disappointed that United chiefs this week missed a golden opportunity to set the record straight after Sir Alex Ferguson`s claims last season that he asked for a transfer.
Although Rooney had hoped that United would be clear on the fact he did not hand in a transfer request as he has always insisted, the absence of new chief executive Ed Woodward during the official unveiling of David Moyes as manager has made his long-term United future look bleaker, the report added.
The report further said that the club`s reluctance to admit Ferguson`s version of events is at odds with the player`s, and has stirred up anti-Rooney feeling on Twitter and other websites, which has left him fearing a fan backlash when the season starts, with supporters taking Ferguson`s side.
And until the position is clarified it is unlikely that the club can build bridges to repair their relationship with Rooney, whose chances of remaining at Old Trafford may end if the fans turn on him after a heated summer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal