Rooney is like me and should do what makes him happy: Mourinho
London: Wayne Rooney should leave Manchester United if it makes him happy, according to new Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho.
The striker has twice had transfer requests rejected by the Premier League champions and his future is uncertain following the arrival of David Moyes at Old Trafford, with Goal revealing in May that he is "hell bent" on leaving Old Trafford.
Goal understands that Arsenal are seriously interested in Rooney, who has held talks with at least two clubs over a potential move this summer, with Chelsea also among his suitors and Mourinho thinks that the England international will be motivated in his decision to leave by ambition, rather than money.
"I think he is at a fantastic age for a player: maturity, big experience, still young," the Portuguese told reporters. "It`s up to him and what he wants, what makes him happy.
"He`s a little bit like me: he doesn`t need one more pound in his contract. One more cup won`t make a different. Be happy.
"Where is he happy? Where will he find more happiness to have ambition and drive him? I like him as a boy. I wish him well and hope he is happy."
However, Mourinho would not be drawn on whether or not he will attempt to bring the striker to Stamford Bridge.
"I learned a few things," he continued. "One of them is I don`t comment on players from other teams. No chance. No chance."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'