Rooney wants striker role at Manchester United
London: Wayne Rooney has told Manchester United that he wants to play as a striker next season if he decides to stay at Old Trafford.
The 27-year-old spent much of the previous campaign in a slightly withdrawn role behind Robin van Persie following his arrival and was occasionally deployed in midfield by Sir Alex Ferguson.
Rooney`s disillusionment with the lack of playing time up front prompted him to hand in a transfer request, with the England international to give serious consideration to a summer switch to Arsenal.
But with his former Everton manager David Moyes set to take up the managerial reins at United, the Croxteth-born forward hinted that he could stay at the club, while reiterating his desire to play in his natural position.
"In the years to come, that might be somewhere I could play, but, right now, I`m definitely a centre-forward. I`m after more goals," Rooney said in an interview with FourFourTwo.
"I`ve played up front on my own a few times for Manchester United and it`s a role I`m very comfortable with and have no problems playing.
"When you play as a target man, you have to stay up front and help the team out by holding the ball up and waiting for support. That all comes with experience.
"It`s a good role for me to play, and hopefully I can continue doing well there."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged