Rossi strike lifts Villarreal, Valencia fall at Osasuna
Madrid: Italian striker Giuseppe Rossi scored his 18th league goal of the season as Villarreal put their midweek Europa League disappointment behind them with a 2-1 comeback win over Getafe at El Madrigal.
Rossi scored a 74th minute winner yesterday that keeps alive Villarreal`s hopes of finishing third -- and claiming a Champions League place -- with the victory moving the club to within three points of third-placed Valencia, who fell to a 1-0 defeat to Osasuna.
Alvaro Cejudo scored a 59th minute winner to lift Osasuna out of the bottom three as Valencia crashed to successive league defeats.
Villarreal arrived on the back of a 5-1 drubbing by FC Porto in the first leg of their Europa League semi-final and fell behind to a Pedro Rios goal on 31 minutes.
However, Ruben Cani equalised for the hosts on the hour mark with a fine strike after a quick pass from Santi Cazorla.
Former Manchester United man Rossi then put Villarreal ahead on 74 minutes heading in Marco Ruben`s centre for his 18th goal of a stellar campaign.
"This was the first step towards thinking of the comeback against Porto on Thursday," said Villarreal coach Juan Carlos Garrido.
"Fourth place in the league would be a real achievement and a prize that we are very close to reaching."
Getafe, recently taken over by Dubai`s Royal Emirates Group, finished a best ever sixth last season but Osasuna`s win over Valencia sees them drop into the bottom three with four games left.
Elsewhere Brazilian midfielder Renato scored a second half winner as Sevilla moved back up to fifth with a 1-0 win at 10-man Almeria.
Substitute Renato struck on 57 minutes to down strugglers Almeria and help Sevilla enhance their European hopes moving above Atletico Madrid courtesy of their superior head to head record.
Almeria reached the semi-finals of the Kings Cup for the first time in their history this season, but prop up the table and the Sevilla defeat leaves them virtually relegated with the club 12 points from safety with four games left.
Almeria only avoid mathematical relegation because of their superior head to head record over Osasuna and Deportivo La Coruna who are both 12 points ahead of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister