Roura full of praise for `important` Messi
Barcelona: Barcelona assistant coach Jordi Roura lauded Lionel Messi after he came on to help them through to the Champions League semi-final.
Messi was involved in the build-up play to Pedro`s equaliser as he darted in behind the PSG midfield before finding David Villa, who laid the ball off to Pedro to fire home.
Roura stated it was always planned for the Argentina international to make an appearance if things were not working out and that his introduction changed the game.
"We agreed with him before the match that he would come on if things weren`t going well. And that`s what we did,” Roura told AS.
"He`s such an important player that his presence affected the game. His introduction influenced our opponent. He showed his capacity to compete."
Roura, who was in temporary charge while Tito Villanova received treatment for cancer, was quick to praise the club for their consistency over recent seasons after they advanced on away goals, 3-3 on aggregate - creating a new record in the process.
"The team showed what they`re made of. Reaching [a record] six consecutive Champions League semi-finals is a real achievement.”
Barcelona will face either arch-rivals Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund in the last four of the competition.
The draw will be made on Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital