Roux on target as Lille put pressure on PSG
Paris: A first half Remy Roux strike ensured that Lille moved second in Ligue 1 on Friday with a 1-0 win at Nantes as French football braces itself for a strike over a controversial supertax.
Lille have 23 points from 11 games, just one point behind leaders Paris Saint Germain who will look to consolidate their advantage at Saint Etienne on Sunday.
Third-placed Monaco, a further point behind Lille, could however reclaim second spot when they host Lyon on Sunday.
"I`m quite satisfied that we`re going home with a win and managed to hold this Nantes side who are not easy to manage on their home turf," said Lille coach Rene Girard.
"I was afraid they would snatch victory at the end, but we did the necessary. We have to make the most of this period when we`re solid and tough because there could be tougher times coming."
Lille showed their solid defence once again at La Beaujoire stadium with just four goals conceded this season, as Nigerian goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama maintained his record of having not conceded a goal in the last six games.
The only goal of the night came four minutes before the break when Roux found the net despite shades of being offside for his third goal of the season.
Lille resisted a series of attacks from Nantes with an Oswaldo Vizcarrondo header going wide after seven minutes with Vincent Bessat also coming up just short after 27 minutes.
Enyeama did well to hold a Jordan Veretout free kick after 75 minutes and again stood his ground following an effort from Venezuelan striker Fernando Aristeguieta nine minutes from time.
"We lost on a goal that was offside," complained Nantes coach Michel Der Zakarian.
"This is a setback because we lost at home, while we were on a run of four straight wins."
Nantes stay fourth with 19 points from 11 games.
Meanwhile Paris Saint-German coach Laurent Blanc blasted plans by French clubs to strike over the government`s 75% supertax, claiming that people "need to see football".
French clubs in the top two divisions voted to strike on the weekend of November 30 in protest at Socialist President Francois Hollande`s controversial initiative to tax the super-rich.
It will be the first lockdown in the professional French game since 1972.
"I hope that between now and November 30, which leaves us a little time, a solution will be found," said Blanc, a former French national coach.
"Think about the sport, for the sport, for football, you have to play. People need to see matches."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'