Roy Hodgson signs four-year deal as England boss
London: Roy Hodgson has been appointed the new England manager, the Football Association revealed in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.
Hodgson has agreed a four-year contract with the FA that runs until 2016. He will be in charge for this summer’s European Championships in Poland and Ukraine, the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and Euro 2016 in France.
West Bromwich Albion released a statement at the same time in which they said that Hodgson will take the club’s final two matches of the season, away to Bolton and home to Arsenal, before officially taking the England reins on May 14, the day after the Premier League season finishes.
The FA confirmed Hodgson as England’s 13th permanent manager after talks were concluded at Wembley on Tuesday morning.
He will take charge of England for the first time against Norway on May 26 and his first Wembley match at the helm will be against Belgium on June 2.
The FA offered Hodgson a four-year contract rather than the two-year deal that many had accepted.
A statement on West Brom`s official website read: “Roy will remain in his current post as head coach of West Bromwich Albion for the final two games of the season before officially taking charge of the national team on May 14, having agreed a four-year deal.
“Roy`s Hawthorns contract runs out on June 30 but the club have agreed to release him after the final game of the season against Arsenal to allow him to prepare in earnest for Euro 2012."
“The club granted him permission to discuss the England role after he expressed a desire to explore the opportunity following The FA`s official approach on Sunday afternoon.”
Stuart Pearce had been in temporary charge of the national side while the FA made their decision, and recently stated that he was prepared to lead the team at Euro 2012, despite also being responsible for the England Under-21 side and Team GB at the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi