Rubin will be underdogs against Atletico: Sharonov
Moscow: Rubin Kazan defender Roman Sharonov is under no illusion his side will be the underdogs after being drawn against holders Atletico Madrid in the Europa League knockout stage.
But the veteran insisted there was no gulf in class, simply the Spaniards will have better match fitness because the Russian winter break will not have finished when the sides meet Feb 14.
"I think that Atletico will have an advantage because they will be playing in their championships," the 36-year-old former Russia international.
"They will be playing and we will be just training."
Sharonov will have to face one of the top players in the world in Radamel Falcao, who has already netted 16 goals this season.
"I like it when Rubin play against strong teams," Sharonov said. "It will be interesting to play against such a striker as Falcao. This is a player who needs only one touch to score a goal."
The teams have never met, though Rubin have a reasonable record against Spanish opposition, with one win, two draws and one defeat, all against Barcelona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why