Rubin will be underdogs against Atletico: Sharonov
Moscow: Rubin Kazan defender Roman Sharonov is under no illusion his side will be the underdogs after being drawn against holders Atletico Madrid in the Europa League knockout stage.
But the veteran insisted there was no gulf in class, simply the Spaniards will have better match fitness because the Russian winter break will not have finished when the sides meet Feb 14.
"I think that Atletico will have an advantage because they will be playing in their championships," the 36-year-old former Russia international.
"They will be playing and we will be just training."
Sharonov will have to face one of the top players in the world in Radamel Falcao, who has already netted 16 goals this season.
"I like it when Rubin play against strong teams," Sharonov said. "It will be interesting to play against such a striker as Falcao. This is a player who needs only one touch to score a goal."
The teams have never met, though Rubin have a reasonable record against Spanish opposition, with one win, two draws and one defeat, all against Barcelona.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read