Russia mulls ID cards for football fans
Moscow: The Russian Premier League is thinking about introducing special ID cards for football fans, the latest proposal to tighten up security at stadiums.
The fight against trouble in the stands escalated last month when Dynamo Moscow goalkeeper Anton Shunin was injured by a flare thrown from the crowd.
A host of new security measures have been proposed in the wake of the incident to prevent a repeat.
The latest one is to link each supporter to each seat by means of a new electronic identification card.
"This can be a multi-function card," said Sergei Cheban, the league`s executive director. "A person possessing such a card will be registered as a supporter of a certain club."
The card could also work in part as a credit card, and offer discounts for a range of goods and services to entice supporters to sign up, Cheban said.
"But first of all, it will act as an identifier."
The league asked all 16 clubs to limit ticket sales to those who present valid passports after the Shunin incident. Cheban insisted the league was already seeing the positive effects of the initiative.
Another legal consequence of the Shunin incident could be that clubs must hire private security firms to provide the stewarding at matches, Cheban said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now