Russian Champions Zenit out of Europa League
Moscow: A missed penalty in the dying minutes cost FC Zenit St. Petersburg the chance to advance into the quarterfinals of the UEFA Europa League, as they lost 1-2 on aggregate to Swiss FC Basel.
Losing 0-2 in the first leg away, the Russian champions were in a strong position as Axel Witsel gave Zenit a 1-0 lead going into the break, and a red card for Basel`s Marcelo Diaz saw the Swiss team reduced to ten men for the second half.
Zenit, however, were unable to break the visitors down. In a desperate, at times acrimonious final quarter of an hour, the home side piled on wave after wave of attack and came as close as hitting the post before being awarded a controversial 86th-minute penalty.
Captain Roman Shirokov was unable to capitalise on this golden late opportunity to keep Zenit`s hopes alive.
Zenit`s early exit from Europe`s second-tier competition marks a major disappointment for the Russian club, who were expected to provide stiff opposition to Europe`s biggest and best clubs in the late rounds of the Champions` League.
Zenit are currently third in the Russian Premier League.
Following are the Europa League last 16, second leg results Thursday:
At Moscow: Rubin Kazan (Russia) 2 Levante (Spain) 0
Rubin win 2-0 on aggregate
At St Petersburg: Zenit St.Petersburg (Russia) 1 Basel (Switzerland) 0
Basel win 2-1 on aggregate
At Milan: Inter Milan (Italy) 4 Tottenham (England) 1
4-4 on aggregate, Tottenham win on away goals
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla