Russian club Anzhi makes Rooney its primary transfer target
London: Super-rich Russian football club Anzhi Makhachkala has made Wayne Rooney their primary target and plan to stun the Premier League by making a mega bid for the striker.
Team director and Brazilian legend Roberto Carlos said Anzhi want to link Rooney, 27, with Cameroon striker Samuel Eto’o, who is currently their top earner at 350,000 pounds a week.
Billionaire Russian oligarch Suleyman Kerimov owns the Dagestan based club.
Asked if Anzhi might sign Rooney, Carlos said: “Why not? He’s one of the best players in the world and any team would be happy to have him in their squad. He’s still a very young player.
“Of course, I could not say when and if it will happen. It’s not only Anzhi who want to buy him. There are plenty of teams in Italy and Spain, all over the world, eager to have a player like Rooney.”
Rooney would also be linking up with ex-Chelsea chief Guus Hiddink, who joined Anzhi this season and has guided them to the top of the Russian Premier Division, The Sun reports.
Carlos said: “If the owner has a wish to buy somebody, he will go and do it. But we are trying to change the image of the club. It is not just about money.”
The Dagestan side trains near Moscow and make a 2,000-mile round trip for home games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!