Russian sports minister praises Capello for national team`s success
Moscow: Italian coach Fabio Capello has played a key role in the success of Russia`s national football team, Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said.
During the qualification tournament for the World Cup, Russia won all four games against Azerbaijan, Portugal, Northern Ireland and Israel and retained the first place in the Group F, reports Xinhua.
"Capello is a very serious expert. Also I like the new faces appearing in the team. It is very important," Mutko told a professional sports newspaper Wednesday.
Capello, 66, was named new coach of the Russian national football team in July. His predecessor, Dutchman Dick Advocaat, resigned after Russia suffered an early exit at the Euro 2012.
Capello led England to the Euro 2012 finals in Poland and Ukraine but fell apart with the Football Association chiefs on skipper John Terry`s role in the squad, which resulted in his resignation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Hillary Clinton e-mail scandal: FBI discovers 15,000 more e-mails
- British police intercept drones flying drugs, cell phones into London prison
- My writing will never be the same, says author Perumal Murugan
- Japan's first lady makes first visit to Pearl Harbor
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Pakistan