Ruthless Real Madrid reach 100-point
Madrid: Real Madrid wrapped up their Liga campaign in style by beating Mallorca 4-1 and surpassing Barcelona`s points record in a league season.
Jose Mourinho opted to field a strong starting line-up, and it was not long before they got themselves ahead, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Karim Benzema sending their side into a commanding half-time lead, before two Mesut Ozil strikes either side of a Gonzalo Castro effort wrapped up a solid victory, and saw the 100-point mark reached in some style.
Predictably, it was the hosts who applied all of the early pressure. Three minutes had barely passed when Ronaldo tore down the left, and pulled it back to Gonzalo Higuain, who hooked an effort over the bar.
Minutes later, they had the ball into the net. Ozil floated in a lovely cross, Higuain lost his marker, and finished past Dudu Aouate, only to see the linesman rule his effort out for a foul.
Ominously for Mallorca, the one-way traffic continued. Higuain nudged the ball through the defence into Sami Khedira`s path, but Aouate did well to save the German`s effort. Seconds later, Ronaldo sent a lovely ball over the top of the defence to Benzema, but Aouate was there again to block the shot.
Soon enough, however, the breakthrough was made. Marcelo collected an overhit cross from Alvaro Arbeloa, sent the ball back into the middle, and Ronaldo was there to head home, ensuring that the Portuguese has scored against all 19 Primera Division sides this season - a new record.
Soon after, it was 2-0. After a series of delightful string of passes culminated in Higuain tapping the ball on to Benzema, who coolly slotted it into the bottom corner.
Benzema soon had a fierce effort from distance pushed away by Aouate, who managed to recover in time to turn Ronaldo`s rebound behind.
Shortly after the restart, Mallorca had a rare sight of goal Tomas Pina skipped past a couple of white shirts before unleashing an effort that was far too close to Iker Casillas.
The miss was to prove costly. Seconds later, Higauin teed up Ozil, who beautifully dinked the ball over Aouate, and into the far corner to make it 3-0.
They were soon pegged back, though. Victor Casadesus drifted inside from the left, and fed Castro, who drove an effort past Casillas at the near post.
Real Madrid restored their three-goal advantage just before the hour mark. A poorly-cleared free kick fell as far as Marcelo, who chipped a lovely ball to Ozil at the far post, and the Germany playmaker stroked home.
Ozil then had a chance to complete his hat-trick, but elected to tee up Higuain, who was denied a tap-in by a timely defensive interception, before Xabi Alonso swung in a free-kick which Sergio Ramos headed over.
Chico cleared a Ronaldo header off the line, and Aouate palmed away a well-placed effort from Angel Di Maria, but it was to matter little. Real Madrid were worthy victors, and can look back on their fantastic campaign with pride.
Mallorca, meanwhile, will have to content themselves with an eighth place finish, despite having started the day in contention for a Europa Leauge spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened