Ryan Giggs breaks Champions League appearance record
Donetsk (Ukraine): Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs broke the Champions League appearance record when he came on as a second-half substitute in the 1-1 Group A draw at Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday.
It was the 39-year-old Welsh midfielder`s 145th game in Europe`s premier club competition (including qualifiers) and took him past former Real Madrid striker Raul.
"It`s fantastic," United manager David Moyes told Sky Sports television. "I was telling him before the game he was going to come on off the bench.
"What a record, and I`ve got to say, what a player."
Giggs, who is also now part of United`s coaching staff, won the competition with United in 1998-99 and 2007-08 and also has 13 league titles to his name.
He has made over 900 appearances for the club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar