SAFF Championship 2013: India defeat Pakistan 1-0
Kathmandu: Defending champions India dished out a listless performance but still managed to beat arch-rivals Pakistan 1-0 in the opening game of the SAFF Football Championship here on Sunday.
It took an own goal from Pakistan captain Samar Ishaq in the 14th minute that ensured three points for Sunil Chhetri and Co. The Indian will take on Bangladesh in their second group league encounter on Tuesday.
The match was billed as a contest between Pakistan defender and former Fulham player Zesh Rahman against Chhetri. Both disappointed during the 90 minutes of play. While 30 plus Rahman has become slow, Chhetri`s profligacy in the 18-yard box cost India three clear chances.
On all these occasions, the India captain has the ribal custodian at his mercy but his powerful shots were way off the mark.
The winner in the 14th minute was more about a defensive error on the part of Pakistan.
Right wing back Nirmal Chhetri overlapped and tried to find an onrushing Sunil between the two rival stoppers in the opposition box but Pakistan captain Samar in his bid to keep his Indian counterpart at bay made a faulty clearance that entered his own goal.
India`s best player on the day was young right winger Francis Fernandes who repeatedly beat opposition left half Kamran Khan who was ultimately replaced in the 33rd minute.
Francis time and again managed to evade his marker and enjoyed good possession along with two cenytral midfielders Mehtab Hossain and Lenny Rodrigues. He made Kamran chase shadows as he essayed a lot of crosses from the right flank.
Just after kick-off, India were rewarded with four flag-kicks in the first four minutes itself. But Pakistan re-grouped after substitute Saddam Hussain replaced Kamran but the Indian defence stood tall.
Immediately after change of ends, forward Jeje Lalpekhlua barged in from nowhere trying to nod home a Mehtab free-kick down the right but it was just off the mark.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city