SAFF Cup: Afghanistan win maiden international crown, thrash India 2-0
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Afghanistan won their first international tournament as they defeated India 2-0 in the finals of the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Championship final in 2013 edition of the tournament.
Mustafa Azadzoy scored the first goal of the match and Afghanistan the lead in the ninth minute of the match. While the Indian players tried to make a comeback, Sandjar Ahmadi scored another goal for Afghanistan.
The Indian team had reached the final for the ninth time in the history of the competition while this only was Afghanistan’s second finale clash.
With this win, Afghanistan also avenged their humiliating defeat against India when they were thrashed 4-0 in their first ever appearance in the final in New Delhi in 2011.
Afghanistan, who are ranked 139th in the world compared to India`s 145th, were seen as favourites to win the final after they defeated hosts Nepal 1-0 in Sunday`s semi-final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!