Saints sign Ryan Bertrand on loan from Chelsea
Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand has agreed a season-long loan deal with Southampton, the south-coast English club confirmed on Wednesday.
Bertrand has been with the Chelsea since 2006 but has found action hard to come by, spending last season on loan at Aston Villa.
"For me personally, this is another chance to play and a chance to join a fantastic club that`s moving in the right direction," said Bertrand.
Southampton are believed to have the option to buy the 24-year-old English player outright next summer.
Manager Ronald Koeman added: "I`m very happy to be able to bring Ryan in. He is a top player who will bring a lot of quality to the team. He has experience at the highest level and is an exciting, attacking player, which is what I like to see in my full-backs."
Southampton have seen a succession of players leave the Premier League club since they finished eighth last season.
Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren have all moved to Liverpool, while Calum Chambers has joined Arsenal.
Bertrand is expected to fill in for Luke Shaw at left-back, following his move to Manchester United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India