Saints sign Ryan Bertrand on loan from Chelsea
Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand has agreed a season-long loan deal with Southampton, the south-coast English club confirmed on Wednesday.
Bertrand has been with the Chelsea since 2006 but has found action hard to come by, spending last season on loan at Aston Villa.
"For me personally, this is another chance to play and a chance to join a fantastic club that`s moving in the right direction," said Bertrand.
Southampton are believed to have the option to buy the 24-year-old English player outright next summer.
Manager Ronald Koeman added: "I`m very happy to be able to bring Ryan in. He is a top player who will bring a lot of quality to the team. He has experience at the highest level and is an exciting, attacking player, which is what I like to see in my full-backs."
Southampton have seen a succession of players leave the Premier League club since they finished eighth last season.
Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert and Dejan Lovren have all moved to Liverpool, while Calum Chambers has joined Arsenal.
Bertrand is expected to fill in for Luke Shaw at left-back, following his move to Manchester United.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Vodafone appoints six investment banks for $3 billion India IPO
- No takers for Kingfisher Airlines brand at online auction
- Uttarakhand forest fire: PMO assures help for relief work
- AgustaWestland row: Aam Aadmi Party to gherao Sonia Gandhi, PM Narendra Modi's residence on May 7
- Poll contest in Kerala heading from 'bi-polar' to 'tri-polar': Arun Jaitley