Salgaocar beat Arrows in I-League
Kolkata: Former champions Salgaocar continued their unbeaten run when they bounced back from behind to defeat Pailan Arrows 2-1 in a penultimate round I-League fixture at Kalyani Stadium on Saturday.
Joshimar da Silva Martins (43rd) and Gabriel Obatola (50th) scored for Salgaocar after Seiminlen Doungel had given Arrows a 36th minute lead.
Salgaocar now have 33 points to be on sixth place, while Pailan Arrows remained on 23, occupying 11th place in the standings.
Arrows started with Seiminlen Doungel in the attack while the other striker Holicharan Narzary was on the bench.
On the other hand, Salgaocar started with Joshimar and Gabriel upfront and their intent was clear from the word go.
Salgaocar got a chance in the sixth minute but Obatola shot wide when he had only the Arrows goalkeeper Soram Angamba to beat.
Salgaocar had another opportunity in the 28th minute when a Fulganco Cardozo shot deflected off Obatola`s leg and came off the post.
Arrows took the lead when Seiminlen controlled a long ball from Vishal Kumar from the middle, dribbled past the Salgaocar defender Augustin Fernades before slotting the ball home.
Minutes later, Salgaocar got the equaliser when Joshimar headed home a Francis Fernandes cross from the right side.
Salgaocar got the winner when Obatola got the ball from the Arrows player Pritam Kotal, who failed to control a Joshimar header and released the former with the opportunity.
Arrows had the chance to level the score in the 75th minute when Milan Singh came in the scoring position playing a 1-2 with Seiminlen.
But Milan Singh attempt was not sharp enough to beat goalkeeper Karanjit Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why