Salgaocar beats Mumbai FC to move to the second place
Vasco: Salgaocar scored twice in the first half to get the better of Mumbai FC in the 20th round of the I-League, played at Tilak Stadium, Vasco, here on Sunday.
Salgaocar who were looking to score their fourth straight win, made three changes bringing in Rahul Kumar, Bikash Jairu and Clifton Dias in place of injured Nicolau Colaco, Francis Fernandes and Brian Mascarenhas.
While Mumbai FC brought in Peter D`Costa and NP Pradeep in place of Khalemba Meitei and Yusif Yakubu. Both the teams played an attacking game in the first half as they tried to control midfield proceedings. After initial probing, Salgaocar took the lead in the tenth minute. A throw-in by Rahul Kumar saw Bikash Jairu flick the ball which hit the cross bar and off the rebound Gilbert Oliveira, who was nearby tapped the ball into the net.
Salgaocar moved the ball swiftly from the flank and came close to scoring twice but the rival defense did well to avert the danger.
Mumbai FC who came with series of moves towards the last fifteen minutes of the first half had the best chance to find the equalize but Salgaocar keeper Karanjit Singh did well to block Edi Sukore`s shot and off the deflection NP Pradeep ballooned the ball over the bar.
Dudu Omagbemi who combined well with Duffy upfront, then doubled the lead in the injury time of the first half, when he beat rival keeper Kunal Sawant to find the net, after receiving the ball from Clifton Dias to have Salgaocar leading 2-0 at half time.
The second half also saw Salgaocar having the better share of exchanges but were not able to penetrate into the rival defence although they came with few dangerous raids it was Mumbai FC defense stood well to put keep the ball away.
Mumbai FC made two changes in the second half bringing in Yusif Yakubu and Ashutosh Mehata and their attack looked more powerful towards the closing stage, with Yakubu twice coming close to scoring. His pile driver hit the far post and off the rebound Milagres Gonsalves cleared the ball to safety and later defender Chika Wali blocked his on the turn shot to have Salgaocar collect full points.
The win which takes Salgaocar FC to 30 points from 18 matches (which is the same as Pune FC) are placed second on account of beating them in the first leg. Bengaluru FC are leading the table with 34 points, while Mumbai FC who remained at 19 points from 18 matches are placed tenth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city