Salgaocar crash out; Prayag, Lajong qualify for semis
New Delhi: I-League and Federation Cup champions Salgaocar on Sunday crashed out of the Durand Cup football tournament after suffering a 0-2 loss at the hands of Prayag United here.
With Sunday`s win, their second in the quarterfinal league, Prayag qualified for the semifinals from Group I while Salgaocar are out of the tournament even though they have one match left -- against Border Security Force.
Prayag had defeated BSF in their first match.
Only the group toppers make it to the semifinals.
Yusif Yakubu and Gouranga Biswas scored for Prayag in the 65th and 69th minutes respectively.
Shillong Lajong FC also qualified for the semifinals from Group II after recording their second win with a 3-1 victory over United Sikkim.
James Gbilee (32nd) and Christopher Chizoba (36th and 83rd) found the target for Lajong. Sushil Kumar scored for United Sikkim, owned by former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia, in the 44th minute.
Lajong had earlier defeated Indian Air Force in their first match.
United Sikkim, who had beaten IAF 3-0 in their first match, also crashed out of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Asthma attack without an inhaler: First aid tips – Watch!
- Murtaza Ahmedi: 5-year-old Lionel Messi fan's family forced to leave Afghanistan after threat calls
- SEAL death shows growing risks US troops face in Iraq, Syria
- Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma go 'Tamatar' hunting on 'Sultan' sets—Watch videos!
- Sensex sinks 104 points in early trade on weak global cues