Salgaocar crash out; Prayag, Lajong qualify for semis
New Delhi: I-League and Federation Cup champions Salgaocar on Sunday crashed out of the Durand Cup football tournament after suffering a 0-2 loss at the hands of Prayag United here.
With Sunday`s win, their second in the quarterfinal league, Prayag qualified for the semifinals from Group I while Salgaocar are out of the tournament even though they have one match left -- against Border Security Force.
Prayag had defeated BSF in their first match.
Only the group toppers make it to the semifinals.
Yusif Yakubu and Gouranga Biswas scored for Prayag in the 65th and 69th minutes respectively.
Shillong Lajong FC also qualified for the semifinals from Group II after recording their second win with a 3-1 victory over United Sikkim.
James Gbilee (32nd) and Christopher Chizoba (36th and 83rd) found the target for Lajong. Sushil Kumar scored for United Sikkim, owned by former India captain Bhaichung Bhutia, in the 44th minute.
Lajong had earlier defeated Indian Air Force in their first match.
United Sikkim, who had beaten IAF 3-0 in their first match, also crashed out of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Kevin Magnussen taken to hospital for checks after crash at Belgian Grand Prix
- Study Constitution well, understand democratic process: President to law students
- Belgian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg cruises to victory at Spa, Lewis Hamilton third
- 60 Taliban militants killed in Afghanistan battle
- Myanmar President visits Taj Mahal