Salgaocar defeats United Sikkim 3-0
Jamshedpur/Siliguri: Defending champions Salgaocar notched their second successive win, blanking United Sikkim 3-0 to brighten their semi-final chances in the 34th Federation Cup today.
In other matches of the day, Churchill Brothers put their campaign back on track with a 5-1 thrashing of Mohammedan Sporting, while Pune FC held United SC 1-1.
Salgaocar, who had defeated United SC in their opening tie, were once again in their elements as they scored through Phillipines Angel Daldeever (2nd), Nicolao Colaco (81st), Anthony D`Souza (85th) at the Keenan Stadium in Jamshedpur to lead group D with six points.
A point against Pune FC would be enough for the Karim Bencherifa-coached side to secure a last-four berth.
In another match of the same group, simultaneously played at the JRD Sports Complex, United SC struck through their star Costa Rican striker Carlos Hernanandez who headed one in from a corner kick in the 14th minute.
But the Kolkata outfit could not hold the lead as Pune FC Izumi Arata brilliantly equalised through a cross header in the 62nd minute.
Pune FC (4) are now two points shy of Salgaocar in the group table, while United SC (1) and United Sikkim (zero) are out of the race.
It was a glut of goals at the Kanchenjunga Stadium in Siliguri where Goan heavyweights Churchill Brothers registered their first win with a 5-1 rout of Mohammadan Sporting.
Churchill`s Lebanese recruit Bilal Nijjarin started the goal race, firing one in the 13th minute, while Bineesh Balan doubled the lead in the 29th minute.
It was their Brazilian star midfielder Beto`s turn to get into the act as he made it 3-0 with a 33rd minute effort.
There was a momentary joy for Mohammadan Sporting who scored their solitary goal through Theodore Sunday in the 38th minute.
But the Goans were simply unstoppable as another Lebanese recruit Akram Moghrabi (40th) made it 4-1 at half-time. Henry Antchouet completed the rout with an 88th minute strike.
Churchill now lead group B with four points, pushing Mohammadan Sporting (three) to second spot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India