Salgaocar draws match with Rangdajied
Shillong: Gilbert Oliveira struck a goal in the dying moments of the game to save table topper Salgaocar from embarrassment as they played a 2-2 draw match with bottom-placed Rangdajied United FC in the I-League.
The second I-League team from Meghalaya fired two goals in the first half to put themselves in a dominant position while the visitors reduced the margin before the break at the J N stadium.
The opener came from David Ngaite in the second minute of the match. Ngaite converted a free kick on the right flank with his head.
Ngaite doubled the lead in the 27th minute when he was unmarked inside the box while Lalnunpuia made his way past two defenders.
Ngaite and Lalnunpuia gave the visitors a hard time at the back as their unwittingly fast pace were equally matched by their Brazilian team mate Edmar.
The trio kept Salgaocar keeper Karanjit Singh busy at the back even as Lalnunpuia?s powerful shot from a 30 yard in the 31st minute of the match went straight into his hands.
Cloud Gnakpa header from a short corner in the 39th minute earned the visitors their solitary goal in the first half to give the visiting team a much-needed push.
Returning after the lemon break, Salgaocar changed their tactics and kept on sending long range drops at the box to test Rangdajied keeper Shambu Mistry.
On any given opportunity, the visitors kept on pumping long range drop balls which were cleared off by Lamine Tamba and his Japanese mate Yohei Iwasaki.
Substitute Gilbert Oliveira`s shot in the 90th minute finally paid off for the visitors as his powerful right footer sent the home custodian into the air while missing a save to level the score 2?2.
After today`s match, the host levelled their points with former I-League champion Churchill Brothers with three points each after 8 and 7 matches respectively.
Both are in the relegation zone with each putting in five goals while Rangdajied conceding 17
goals and Churchill Brothers 10.
Salgaocar, on the other hand, remained on top with 17 points from 8 matches and three points ahead of Bengaluru FC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters