Salgaocar ground Air India
Margao: Rjuji Sueoka`s first half penalty guided Salgaocar to a 1-0 win over Air India and moved to third place in the 22nd round of the I-League played at Nehru Stadium on Saturday.
Salgaocar who had more of the ball possession in the first half, had the first chance to surge ahead in the 8th minute but Ryuji Sueoka drove the ball out, off a pass from Bevan D`Mello.
Salgaocar kept on probing into the rival half with quick short passes gained a penalty after Kali Alaudeen pushed Nicolao Colaco from behind inside the box and referee Denny Jacob awarded the penalty which Rjuji Sueoka converted by beating keeper Pawan Kumar to his right in the 23rd minute.
Rjuji than had a glorious chance to seal the match in the second but failed to direct his header into the net off a pass from Rino Anto.
The visitors who put up better performance in the second half came with few raids late in the first half, had the best chance to equalise in the 41st minute but Mandeep who was free inside the box, drove the ball out of target.
The win takes Salgaocar to 39 points from 22 matches moved to third place displacing Mohun Bagan who are on 38 points, play their crucial match against table topper Dempo tomorrow at home.
Air India who are clear of the relegation zone remained on 29 points from 22 matches to find themselves on 9th place.
Referee Danny Jacob showed yellow card to Air India`s Lamine Tamba and Manadeep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured