Salgaocar look to close gap at top
Vasco: Salgaocar will look to score their fourth win and close the gap at the top as they clash against Mumbai FC in a 20th round match of the I-League, to be played at Tilak Stadium here on Sunday.
Having beaten Mohun Bagan, Shillong Lajong and Mohammedan Sporting Club, Salgaocar are back to winning ways after the break and are looking for their fourth win against Mumbai FC.
They are on fourth place with 27 points from 17 matches, four points behind table topper Bengaluru FC.
Salgaocar`s strike force looks formidable with Dudu joining the team. He and Darryl Duffy have been lethal upfront.
Duffy, who is the leading scorer along with Sunil Chhetri and Josimar with 10 goals, will be the man Salgaocar will be banking on.
The midfield has also supported them well, which saw them win three matches on the trot.
Salgaocar`s coach Derrick Pereira said defender Nicolau Colaco, who has a strained calf muscle, is ruled out for the match.
Francis Fernandes, who is carrying an injury,?is a doubtful starter. "The boys have put up a good performance after the break and with Dudu joining the team, our strike force has become more sharper.There has been upset results in the last round with teams coming close together at the top and things will keep on changing in the next couple of rounds with the league getting tougher and tougher.
The team is working hard and putting good work. All we now need is to remain more focus and determine and God willing result will follow," said Pereira. "Mumbai FC who has moved to tenth place with 19 points from seventeen matches too is playing well after the break as they drew all their three matches against United FC, Pune FC and table topper Bengaluru FC and we need to remain cautious against them if we are to win tomorrow. With both the teams playing well I expect a close contest and which ever team plays well on their given day will emerge winners," added Pereira.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth