Salgaocar looking for change of fortunes against AI
Panaji: Salgaocar FC will look to turn their fortunes when they take on an upbeat Air India in the 13th round of I-League tomorrow at the newly laid astro turf Duler stadium in Mapusa.
With the Nehru Stadium in Fatorda undergoing renovation for next year`s Lusofonia Games and the Tilak Maidan (Vasco) yet to be ready, Duler stadium, owned by the Goa Football Association, will host the matches till the end of January.
Salgaocar FC, who have won only a match against Mumbai FC, are at the bottom of the table with seven points from eleven matches. Injuries to Francis Fernandes and Luciano Sobroza have also put them in trouble.
Peter Valles, assistant coach, said that the team was playing well but goals were not coming.
"The team is playing well, it`s the inability to score goals that has led to our defeats. A couple of victories will bring the team`s confidence back.
I am confident that the team will do well tomorrow and win and hope lady luck also shines on us as we will be playing an I-League match for the first time on the newly laid astro turf ground," he said.
On the other hand, Air India are on a high after moving out of the drop zone. Their unbeaten run in the last five matches have seen them placed 10th with 11 points from ten matches.
"A large part of our problem has been conceding goals at the last moment. We have suffered a lot because of that and need to stop that," said Air India coach Anthony Fernandes.
Air India will continue to miss striker Prakash Thorat for the third match on the trot along with midfielder Pratik Haudhari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered