Salgaocar move to 2nd spot
Margao: Salgaocar FC kept pace at the top of the table after a 2-0 victory over traditional football rivals Dempo Sports in the Round 21 clash of the Airtel I-League on wednesday.
The victory meant Salgaocar are now unbeaten in five matches and have kept a clean sheet in four consecutive games. The turnaround has been since Dudu Omagbemi joined them during the transfer window this year.
The Nigerian striker failed to score for the first time since joining the side but that was no problem for Salgaocar as goals from Bikash Jairu (18th minute) and Darryl Duffy (23rd minute) gave Derrick Pereira?s team a comfortable win.
The win kept Salgaocar within sniffing distance of the title and the former I-League champions are now just four points adrift of leaders Bengaluru FC.
Dempo came into this game on the back of a 4-0 drubbing of Sporting Clube de Goa.
The former champions started brightly and enjoyed all the possession but could not translate their possession into goals.
Beto sent a delightful through ball for Alwyn George in the sixth minute but the former Pailan Arrows striker failed to score.
Salgaocar took the lead much against the run of play in the 18th minute. Dudu, always a dangerous customer, worked his way past Haroon Amiri and then saw Jairu unmarked. Jairu made no mistake from the left to give his side the lead.
Salgaocar extended their lead six minutes later as Duffy continued with his rich scoring form. After being picked up by Rocus Lamare inside the heart of Dempo defence, the Scottish striker showed remarkable cool to slot the ball past goalkeeper Laxmikant Kattimani.
Dempo were threatening but with their strikers so woefully out of form, and the Salgaocar defence refusing to budge, there was no chance of a breakthrough even after the change of ends.
Romeo Fernandes went close twice in quick succession while Jeje Lalpekhlua and Tolgay Ozbey also wasted opportunities.
With a two-goal lead Salgaocar continued to grow in confidence and had their strikers been sharp enough, could have enjoyed a bigger-margin of victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan